Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colocasia antiquorum 'Illustris' in trouble

Posted by Eric55 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 05 at 15:49

Hi everyone,
Ive had this Colocasia antiquorum 'Illustris' for 9 months. It has grown nicely under an 800 watt grow light (October-March) and then a West-facing window for the past 2 months.

I am having a problem with drooping stems. Sometimes the stems fold over and then I have to cut off the stem. The photos show it all.

The plant is in good, rich soil and I keep it very moist. Sometimes there are drops of water coming from the leaf tips after I water the plant.

Can anyone tell me if I am giving it too much water or perhaps not enough food or light?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colocasia antiquorum 'Illustris' in trouble

• Posted by Josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 05 at 22:29

Eric, during the winter months I sometimes experience this with this plant. It just gets east window light and I keep just moist, even letting it dry out just a bit between watering. (Always rather lose a leaf from underwatering than to risk root rot and lose whole plant). The new leaves get smaller and the older leaves droop. But it goes outside in shade in summer and loves the heat (in 80's now, later will be in 90's here). Sits in a deep saucer of water which sometimes dries out for a few hours, but I'd say it is kept very moist. And already lots of new larger deeper colored leaves on strong stems.

So are you using airconditioner? With moist soil may be feelng a bit chilly especially at night. Is there no possibility of putting outside for summer? Outside light even in shade is just so much brighter and that warm temp is just what's needed.

If you can't put outside I think I'd cut back on water a little, use no fertilizer, and place in warmest spot with good light. Then see how it goes.
Good luck...josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here