Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuspaul

Looking for Bog Plants

I wish this forum had an exchange page, oh well, hope this is legal. I am looking for bog plants, especially bog orchids, corkscrew rush, and sarracenias. I have loads of cactus, succulents, passion flowers, and palms. I also have a bog plants, redroot, that I really love. Check my list. Paul

Comment (1)

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

It used to have an exchange page, and I don't know why it disappeared.

As to legality, it is only illegal to trade plants that are officially listed as threatened or endangered in your state, or federally endangered. There are only a few endangered carnivores in the U.S. (but in my opinion more should be listed). Here's the list:

Endangered
    Sarracenia oreophila
    Sarracenia alabamensis
    Sarracenia jonesii

Threatened
    Pinguicula ionantha
    *Dionea muscupula (Venus Flytrap)

Regarding ethics, just about all the carnivores except perhaps the sundews and common bladderwort are too rare to wild collect. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of people out there with little or no ethics. You often see pitcherplants or flytraps taken form the wild on E-Bay. So... in a way, it might be a good thing that we don't have a trade section. If we did, it might make it easier for people to steal these plants from the wild, instead of getting them from a reputable nursery (like California Carnivores, Meadowview, etc.) Unfortunately, people who responsibly garden propagate (like myself) are the ones punished for others lack of responsibility.

Regarding bog orchids, the same issues apply. There are still only a few people that garden propagate them (I do). Many take years to reproduce and don't transplant well, so taking them out of the wild can cause significant harm. So, if we trade them, then how do we know who is digging them up and who is reponsibly propagating them (from seed or garden stock)? Also ALL orchids are listed under CITES, which means it is basically illegal to trade them across national borders (without expensive documentation).

On the other side, some of these rare bog species are quickly losing habitat. If someone doesn't propagate them, then we'll probably lose them altogeter. For example, in england, if it weren't for gardeners then they'd have lost their Yellow Lady Slipper. So, I'm not sure that simply putting a wall around these plants or discouraging trade is a good answer either, especially since loss of habitat is a bigger problem than wild collection.

Anyways, these are all some interesting questions, and I don't necessarily have the answers.

Yarthkin

*State status only. Although, I feel strongly from my own field observations that the Venus flytrap should also be added to the Endangered Species list for NC, since it is almost gone in the wild due to loss of habitat and extreme amounts of poaching.

Here is a link that might be useful: ESA Laws for CPs

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus