Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants in Wetland ?

Posted by Sarann (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 04 at 17:59

The backyard of our house slopes down to a ditch (and a road) and the slope is a designated Wetland. The area is unkept and very messy looking (overgrown grass & weeds). We can't cut this grass because we would loose the lawnmower (natural springs are in the ground & you sink when you walk in this area).
I want to do something with this to make it look better and was thinking of sprinkling wild flower seeds? Would this work? If not, do you have any other suggestions of what we could do to make it look better?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants in Wetland ?

Wildflower seeds would probably fail. There are, however, a number of things you could plant that would not harm the wetland but spruce it up a bit.

You could plant things like sedges, rushes, water iris, pickerel weed. These would add color to the area and still be very natural so that there would not be any problems with the agencies that established and/or oversee the area.

o

I agree with the previous answer - add things that naturally grow in wetlands. And if they are plants that are native to your own area they will do much better and there will be no danger of introducing some plant that will take over the area.

There might even be an agency in your state that has a website telling what plants are native to your state's wetlands.

Arlene M.

o

Thank you for your response (I'm glad that I didn't go out & buy Wildflowers).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here