Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

To Be or Not To Be a Bog Garden Plant

susanlynne48
18 years ago

Okay, so I planted my little Rodgersia and Astilboides in my washtub that I put in the ground and filled the tub with a mix of peat moss, cow manure, and garden soil (bagged). I planted the little babies in it, and it looks like they are dying; leaves are drooping and turning brown. Do you think I need to lighten the mix a bit, say with sand or perlite? Or, are they just experiencing some shock. I planted them about 3 weeks ago.

Susanlynne

Comments (7)

• Josh
    18 years ago

Susan, how are your plants faring now? Have always admired these, tried the Rodgersia once years ago. It promptly fizzled out and with further reading/research I learned they don't like our zone 8 warm summer nights. Also that they like shade but most bog/water plants require sun so it was a problem siting them near my pond. Good luck...they are awesome plants. josh

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Josh, the foliage has died back, but I don't know if that means the entire plant is dead. I tried to pull on the roots, but they were firmly fastened in the soil. I think I'll try it again next year, if they did die because I needed to add more sand for drainage. I'm not sure these are true "bog" plants as someone else mentioned on this forum. I am growing petasites 'variegata', which is also a bog/water plant, but do not have it in a bog. It is in a bed with several hosta, cimicifuga, lamium, and arum maculata.

Thanks for the response!

Susan

• fredsbog
    18 years ago

Both my Rodgersia aesculafolia and Astilboides tabularis are planted in a shady spot on the north side of my garage. Not in any way boggy, in fact in mid summer the bed can get rather dry. Aside from the deer eating most of the Rodgersia foliage the plants seem to be happy there.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I see a lot of people posting about problems with deer. That makes me happy I live in the city....in an older part of OKC with lots of trees, lots of character. Sometimes the squirrels and local free-roaming cats and dogs cause problems, but nothing major.

Well, next time, I think I'll just plant the asbilboides and rodgersia in the same area, or conditions, that I have my variegated petasites, which seems to do fine. I do water it consistently, though.

Susan

• Peter60
    18 years ago

May I add that a bog garden is not one where the plants have their root permanently in water - that would be the situation for maginal pond plants.

If you have the time,money and energy my suggestion is to create a bog garden as described below. It is part reply to a message on my board.

--------------------------------------------------------

Even a bog garden should not have stagnant soil water therefore perforate the plastic liner so there is a constant if slow percolation to the substrata. If you are not incorporating a perforated pipe to apply water just back fill with fertile garden soil well charged with rotted organic matter.
    Where you are including a water pipe (that is simply a single pipe with the end blocked and holes along its length laid across the diameter of the excavation) lay it on a bed of gravel with more gravel over it. This will prevent the holes from becoming blocked and will aid drainage to the perforated liner. The osmotic action of the soil will bring water upwards and keep it wet enough for the plants.

Viz. the pipe will have an upstand opposite the blocked end which extends through the gravel layer and the backfill soil to the surface where a connection is made for the hosepipe. When water is applied it will fill the gravel layer and when it reaches the soil it will percolate to the plant roots. Only usage will determine how long and at what intervals you leave the water running for.

Regarding depth of planting soil I would aim for a minimum of 18" (45cm) and it should be free draining but moisture retentive - add plenty of organic matter.

-------------------------------------------------

My Website

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I hate to say this, Peter, but that's just too much work for this old lady! I have the time and the money, but not the energy. I actually do quite a lot for having had 8 surgeries over the last 2.5 years, including back surgery. But, me, by myself, on my own, with my limitations, would not know where to start. I'm sure there are others lurking on this forum who will benefit from your suggested bog garden concept.

My aluminum tub has holes in the bottom for drainage, and is buried to the soil line in the back yard. I'm going to try my taro in it, because other friends have mentioned doing the same thing with success.

My next Rodgersia and Astilboides will go directly into the soil, like the petasites, all of which have similar needs. But, I'd like to thank you for your efforts in trying to teach this old dog a new trick!

Susan

• dogboy7
    18 years ago

Can this plant be grown in an 18gal bog container?

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz