Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxann_gw

Bog Garden

roxann
17 years ago

I'm really feeling stupid right now.What exactly is a bog garden? Is it a pond,or is it plants planted in swampy area or what? I never heard of one before.

Comments (7)

• kwoods
    17 years ago

2 very general definitions on this forum

1. Acid peat bog garden, "true" bog garden. 50/50 peat sand mix with some drainage. Grow carnivores, bog orchids, acid loving nutrient poor plants, cranberries, blueberries, etc.. Replicating bogs, kettle holes, muskeg found in nature.

2. Wet high nutrient bog with little drainage. Replicating marsh or swamp or.... anything really down to tropical mangrove. Grow marginals and things that like "wet feet".

If you search this forum you will probably find many, varied and more specific definitions Not a stupid question, it's a question that gets asked a lot.;o)

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

That is a common question but, no, a bog is not the same as pond. True bogs are well-drained, sunny, acidic, nutient-poor, moist areas covered with sphagnum moss. They do not generally contain standing water. Bog gardening seeks to simulate this so we can grow native orchids, carnivorous Plants, cranberries and other odd plants.

Here is how I'd define some other kinds of wetlands you might see:

Marsh: A flooded grassy nutrient-rich place with plants like cattails

Swamp: A forested wetland

Fen: A sunny moist area that is alkaline instead of acidic.

In nature, some of these habitats are side by side. For example, it isn't unusual to see a pond surrounded by a bog, which is surrounded by a swamp.

The differences may seem trivial, but I personally feel these differences are important, because as Gardeners it takes a very different kind of garden to grow a cattail than it does to grow a Venus Flytrap. Environmentally, it makes sense to know the difference too, as bogs are far more rare than marshes.

Here is a link that might be useful: A link to the pond forum

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

Kwoods,

Didn't see that you'd responded until after I posted.

Hey, I wonder if there is any way we could a better description of the forum (Or a FAQ or something) that basically says something akin to what you just posted?

Also, Roxann, I'd add just as KWoods did that it absolutely isn't a stupid question. It is also perhaps made overly complex by the fact that the members of the forum don't even necessarily agree on the definition. (Because the common understanding and the scientific meaning are so very different).

Lonnie

• kwoods
    17 years ago

A faq would be a good thing for this forum. Who volunteers to write/extract from posts for it? ;o)

I never understood why it isn't linked to Carnivorous forum at top either. Suggestions forum gets the ball rolling for a faq.

• yarthkin
    17 years ago

Okay, Posted a note to the suggestions forum.

For the FAQ, what about this:

What is a Bog?
    A bog is generally characterized by the following features:

• Sunny

• Permanantly Moist (not flooded)

• Covered with sphagnum peat moss

• Acidic

• Low Nutrient

It often contains rare plants such as sundews, pitcherplants, and terrestrial orchids. For more information on the difference between other kinds of wetlands like Fens, Swamps, Marshes, Vernal Pools and more visit:
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4120.html

What is a Bog Garden?
    There is some amount of controversy about this, since commonly many people refer to any wet area as a "bog"; whereas scientifically a bog is a very specific and rare ecosystem. For the purposes of this list there are two different acceptable definitions:

1. Acid peat bog garden. A "true" bog garden which seeks to replicate the natural bogs, kettle holes, muskeg found in nature. Generally uses 50/50 peat sand mix with some drainage. Soil is moist but rarely flooded. Usually placed in full to part sun. Used to grow carnivores, bog orchids, acid loving nutrient poor plants, cranberries, blueberries, etc.

2. Wet high nutrient bog with little drainage. Replicates marsh or swamp or.... anything really down to tropical mangrove. Grows pond marginals and things that like "wet feet". Can also be called a "Marsh Garden", "Swamp Garden", "Fen Garden", etc. In your posts, we recommend being clear about which kind of "bog garden" you mean since plants that live in one, often cannot survive in the other.

How can I improve the wet area on my property? Generally, true wetlands are self maintaining. They don't require any improvement and most of us would feel lucky to have them. In fact, making certain changes can even be illegal. That said, here are some things that can sometimes be done:

1. Remove any invasive exotics like purple loosestrife, or multiflora rose, etc.

2. Plant a buffer of locally native plants to prevent sedimentation and contamination from runoff.

3. Ask for suggestions to specific problems in this forum

• kwoods
    17 years ago

Wow! That was quick. Love it.

One thing I might add to the "how can I improve..." is recommending an inventory of plants and animals that are already there. Contacting a local native plant or conservation resource and attempting to try and find out what type of system actually "belongs" there.

Nice job. It would be nice if we get it.

• kwoods
    17 years ago

Lonnie,

Was just thinking (catch myself doing that every so often). Maybe we should start a new "faq" thread and open it up to all forum contributors who might want some input? Some folks may not see this thread.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm