Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbhoot

wet area in the backyard

kimbhoot
14 years ago

I have this area in my backyard (about 10'X10') that's always wet. I can't run the lawn mower there.. it's muddy and damp. I don't know why just this area is wet even on dry days. I initially thought I'll dump some dirt there, raise the area a bit but it would be a bit costly for me. While visiting this park the other day I saw this pond and several plants, and I thought why not just turn this area into a nice garden!

By the way, this would be my first garden. I need expert help on what I can grow here, I like those colorful long ornamental grasses, and I've seen this plant with huge leaves. no idea what those are called. please let me know what I can do in this area to solve the damp issue.

Thanks for reading.

Comments (2)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

There's a thread below about plants that love wet soil. Along with their suggestions is mint (but it willgrow EVERYWHERE if you let it), Joe pye weed, butterfly weed, milk weed, cattails, pussy willows, grapes, golden rod, asters and willow trees (although some people consider willows giant weeds.)

Sorry I can't help you with the grasses. Personally, I can't see planting it, when I'm always trying to weed it out of the vegetable garden! LOL!

The plant with huge leaves is probably elephant ears.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wet soil lovin' plants

• lycopus
    14 years ago

Butterfly weed would not do well in wet conditions. It prefers dry, sandy soil. Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) does well in moist to wet soil. Here is a short list of plants that do well in sun and moist to wet soil:

Queen of the Prairie
    Buttonbush
    New England Aster (can be aggressive)
    Obedient plant
    Sneezeweed
    Joe Pye Weed
    Marsh Marigold
    Iris versicolor or Iris virginica
    Monarda didyma
    Sweet flag
    Carex stricta (tussock sedge)
    Turtlehead (Chelone glabra)