Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wet area in the backyard

Posted by kimbhoot Missouri (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 22:23

I have this area in my backyard (about 10'X10') that's always wet. I can't run the lawn mower there.. it's muddy and damp. I don't know why just this area is wet even on dry days. I initially thought I'll dump some dirt there, raise the area a bit but it would be a bit costly for me. While visiting this park the other day I saw this pond and several plants, and I thought why not just turn this area into a nice garden!

By the way, this would be my first garden. I need expert help on what I can grow here, I like those colorful long ornamental grasses, and I've seen this plant with huge leaves. no idea what those are called. please let me know what I can do in this area to solve the damp issue.

Thanks for reading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wet area in the backyard

There's a thread below about plants that love wet soil. Along with their suggestions is mint (but it willgrow EVERYWHERE if you let it), Joe pye weed, butterfly weed, milk weed, cattails, pussy willows, grapes, golden rod, asters and willow trees (although some people consider willows giant weeds.)

Sorry I can't help you with the grasses. Personally, I can't see planting it, when I'm always trying to weed it out of the vegetable garden! LOL!

The plant with huge leaves is probably elephant ears.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wet soil lovin' plants

o
RE: wet area in the backyard

Butterfly weed would not do well in wet conditions. It prefers dry, sandy soil. Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) does well in moist to wet soil. Here is a short list of plants that do well in sun and moist to wet soil:

Queen of the Prairie
Buttonbush
New England Aster (can be aggressive)
Obedient plant
Sneezeweed
Joe Pye Weed
Marsh Marigold
Iris versicolor or Iris virginica
Monarda didyma
Sweet flag
Carex stricta (tussock sedge)
Turtlehead (Chelone glabra)
Royal Fern
Cinnamon Fern
Sensitive fern
Red Osier Dogwood
Boneset
Cardinal Flower
Blue lobelia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here