Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (11)

• lindaguthrie_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

It's pennywort. Looks very healthy.

• Casper4440_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

Linda's right, it's pennywort. My friend in Louisiana calls it Dollar Weed. It grows wild there and she digs it up and sends it to me. When I went to visit her, I dug some up and she said, "Thanks for weeding my yard!" LOL Here, a small bit of it (in a 4" container) sells for $5!!! My friend saves me a lot of money by shipping me her "weeds".

NancyAnn

• soindgardener
    21 years ago

i was told you relly should NOT bring plants from state to state. You may accidently bring a disease/bug that is not found in your area and cause terrible problems.

• jeff_al
    21 years ago

i think marsh pennywort, as well ( Hydrocotyle umbellata)

Here is a link that might be useful: marsh pennywort

• Seacorey
    21 years ago

This stuff grows just about everywhere here in Fla. I've seen it in a foot of water and I've seen it 40 feet from lake shores - along the shoreline from several years ago when the lake was much more full.

$5 for 4"?! Road trip to AR!

• annie116
    20 years ago

It's the second worst weed we have in NE N.C. ! (The first is "wire grass"). Penny wart grows into everything, chokes out the more fragile plants, is hard to remove when it's young because you pull everything up along with it. It has a distinct smell, you can't miss it, especially when you are pulling it.It must grow "Nicer" for the people who write in and like it, please come harvest my whole yard! Ak

• dendy
    20 years ago

We just pulled all of our pennywort from our bog garden because it was choking everything. Granted we can cut it down etc... but agh I am just sick of it. It looks cool...but nah. Ill find something else to plant in its place. *lol*

There are certain states like California for example where it is illegal to import / export plants interstate wise. If it isnt illegal where you are from it is a wise idea to wash that plant thoroughly before planting. Washing it in a good mixture of a sinkful of water with a good squirt of dishwashing liquid like "Dawn" etc not dishwashER liquid should kill anything on it. Always clean your plants before planting them unless you absolutely trust who you are getting them from.

Why dont you all start to sell it to water garden stores as bare root plants. *lol* The weeds may turn into good after all!

• bcstan
    19 years ago

Just this afternoon, I saw some of this in a nursery. In a four inch pot and they wanted $6 for it (plus tax, of course). I am just starting me a pond and would love to have some.

• Jacquelyn8b
    19 years ago

What is this bog/pond monster?
    {{gwi:429942}}

• cannahavana
    19 years ago

To me, it looks like seedbox (Ludwigia alternifolia), but I think the bloom has 4 petals. I could be wrong.

Rebecca

• tammie12
    19 years ago

Primrose Creeper. Tammie