Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Qs for Fred/Fredsbog

njbiology
18 years ago

Hi, Fred. this was part of a previous posting on a thread that will probably be gone soon so i posted it here. I have a few questions about bog gardens:

----

Fred,

Love your bog garden, it looks excellent!

1. I live in New Jersey - my area is supposedly zone 6b; however, i know that these zones are sometimes misapplied. Would you say that you are in a colder zone then I am?

2. When we say that iris and orchid have their rhizomes in the upper 3 to 4" of earth, as definitely seems to be the case in the field, then how would greater depth then 10" help these plants thrive and to overwinter?

The only two advantages to extra depth that I can think of would be: greater water/moisture retention in the growing season and less water per soil ratio in winter so that the roots are not frozen in solid ice [mud].

3. I think my frostline might be 18" - i was thinking of making my bog 24", so that its well beyond the frost line. However, since I'm only going to have mostly the types of bog plants that you have [orchid, iris, hardy carnivorous plants, etc], is that a waste of liner - since the roots will not be going down that deep - and maybe wont even go deeper then 10"? [keep in mind that I wont be having any sort of cattails or very large plants that might have enormous root systems?

4. Do you think that I can go 50% peat and 50% dirt - or will that go bad - in which case is sand much better? I would think that sand and peat will insulate less then would dirt in winter.

Thanks Fred,

Steve

Comments (3)