Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do Cattails Need?

Posted by CityBounty none (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 23:37

Hi CityBounty has a bed that we are maintaining and it appears to be standing in water at least part of the year but is dry at the moment. I transplanted a small cattail in hopes of getting some started here. I would like it to be cattails and mint but the little guy isn't doing so well. Slowly turning brown and not growing anything new. I am afraid that it needs standing water to be happy, but it was high up on the bank where I took it from and so I thought it would do ok without wet feet.
Any input would be great!
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do Cattails Need?

Transplanting of cattails is best done in early spring just when you see new growth coming out of the ground.
Be sure you dig down deep and get as much root as possible.
Also you will have to cut the rhizome that is coming in from the parent plant as they spread by rhizome. The plants can handle being flooded but do quite well with the tops out of the water but with the soil they are in being wet. Because of their fleshy rhizome they can handle some dryness during part of the year and will come back as such periods appear to be related to a resting period for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here