Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Bog Plant - need ID

weedlady
13 years ago

But I do not know how to add a photo! I have posted several photos on Flickr but do not know how to refer you to them. (Can anyone explain how? I have listed them as "public.")

In the meantime, I'll try to describe them: there are a number of these plants growing actually in or very close to the edge, in the mud--never farther than a foot from the water's edge--of a pool in a woodland in central Ohio. Each plant has 2 leaf stalks coming from the base, and the 2 leaf-stalks are different from each other. One is a compound leaf about 10-15" tall with 8 sets of finely serrated opposite leaflets; the second leaf is somewhat shorter and most closely resembles a long, single finely cut leaf of Queen Ann's lace, or a stalk of dill--totally unlike the other leaf! Also on some plants, the leaflets of the compound leaf are much more deeply serrated, almost lobed.

Some plants have more than one of the fine, carrot-like leaves (also many of these leaves persist on the ground from last year, but are wilted and dead) and some plants are sending up a third stalk but these still are tightly furled so I cannot discern how they will look.

Can anyone suggest possibilities as to name or even family? I have tried Googling "bog plant Ohio" and searched the CT Botanical Society's website (often very helpful) as well as "Cedar Bog Ohio" looking for possibilities, but see nothing like this plant. I am stymied. Thanks in advance for any help! CK

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor