Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bog Plant - need ID

Posted by weedlady Central OH 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 23:52

But I do not know how to add a photo! I have posted several photos on Flickr but do not know how to refer you to them. (Can anyone explain how? I have listed them as "public.")

In the meantime, I'll try to describe them: there are a number of these plants growing actually in or very close to the edge, in the mud--never farther than a foot from the water's edge--of a pool in a woodland in central Ohio. Each plant has 2 leaf stalks coming from the base, and the 2 leaf-stalks are different from each other. One is a compound leaf about 10-15" tall with 8 sets of finely serrated opposite leaflets; the second leaf is somewhat shorter and most closely resembles a long, single finely cut leaf of Queen Ann's lace, or a stalk of dill--totally unlike the other leaf! Also on some plants, the leaflets of the compound leaf are much more deeply serrated, almost lobed.
Some plants have more than one of the fine, carrot-like leaves (also many of these leaves persist on the ground from last year, but are wilted and dead) and some plants are sending up a third stalk but these still are tightly furled so I cannot discern how they will look.

Can anyone suggest possibilities as to name or even family? I have tried Googling "bog plant Ohio" and searched the CT Botanical Society's website (often very helpful) as well as "Cedar Bog Ohio" looking for possibilities, but see nothing like this plant. I am stymied. Thanks in advance for any help! CK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bog Plant - need ID

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe Sium suave, or tall water parsnip

I haven't used Flickr but maybe you can copy and paste the url for the page where you can see the images from your browser to here.

o

Hmmm..that is the closest so far to what I found--but I still am not seeing that second type of leaf. Here are links to my Flickr page (did not think about it being that easy!)
The third shoot now has developed further in the plant I have at home (and have in my hand in this photo) and is going to be another leaf like the one seen on the left: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hortophile/4576637955/

Here are a few more views of the plant in situ:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hortophile/4576637661/

This 3rd photo shows another plant with a slightly different type of leaf in combination with the leaf that looks like carrot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hortophile/4576637233/

Hope lycopus sees this and that these photos are more conclusive! CK

o

Well that was a lucky guess. Pretty sure that it is Sium suave after looking at the images. However, given the similarity of this species to water hemlock I have to say that I am not absolutely sure.

o

Lycopus--I did a bit more research and the drawing/description at the USDA PLants Database nails it--and confirms your ID! Found it on page 222 in my Newcomb's guide. Many thanks! CK

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Plants Database

o

i am not sure but i thinks its Sium suave according to my knowlege and if its not a sium suava then you should check it properly and then try to identify the thing. I if you find some thing new then you must tell us about that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iphone 4 Bumper cases

o

Pettersmith, thanks for your input, but if you will read agian my last message dated May 7, you will see that I did, indeed, make a positive ID of the plant. It grew happily in a large pot that I kept soggy all summer but now has died back from several hard frosts. It was fun having it here! Be interesting to see if it sprouts anew in the pot, come spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here