Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bog garden filter construction

Posted by dogtoon UK (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 7:45

I have 250 gallon pond and want to build "veggie filter" what is the minimum depth of gravel you need because there are conflicting views on the web

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bog garden filter construction

You might try posting your question on the "Ponds & Aquatic Plants" forum of GardenWeb. There is occasionally discussions on bog/veggie filters there. Below is a link to a page with a description of the bog-type veggie filter we built a few years ago. Good Luck!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Bog Filter

o
RE: Bog garden filter construction

My 3 yr old pond a 40' X 70 ' has had green water problems for most of it's 3 years. It looks great until hot weather, then pea soup. I am considering a bog garden. I have 7500 G pump, skimmer and bio falls with filter media. This would supplement my current filter system with a seperate pump. I have plants, a few fish, trapdoor snails and lots of rocks. over the liner. I have read the posts on the bog topic. Is there a site for construction of the clean out PVC section needed for the perforated PVC that goes to in the bottom of the bog. I do not want to construct one and then have it clogged. Is it a good idea to have a small drop for the water (a waterfall)as it re-enters the pond after being filtered by the bog. I am on a small budget so I need some help with cost effective ideas. Can you use a seperate flood pump to pump water into the bog?
What do you do in the winter with plants that are rooted in pea gravel, I am a zone 4-5?
I appreciate the time others take to write in and give us newbies a little advice.
Wanda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here