Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoods_gw

6/24 Bog pics

kwoods
18 years ago

{{gwi:430089}}

{{gwi:430090}}

Just a couple pics of my bog this morning.

Comments (7)

• kwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

• dirt_lover
    18 years ago

Are those pitcher plants and venus flytraps? They look like plants native to the Sandhills of NC. They do look exotic! Elaborate on the environment, please.What kind of wildlife do you have? (I grew up in the Sandhills of NC)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

KWoods - that is absolutely gorgeous! What a lovely bog you have. Can you tell me about it? Is it in full sun, and what is planted in it?

Susan

• kwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

The pictures are of an artificial (peat/sand) bog in full sun. It's located in my suburban North Shore of Long Island back yard (terminal morraine over glacial till, very sandy hill or bluff). It has sundews, many varieties of pitcher plants, Darlingtonia, flytraps, orchids etc.

I got interested in bogs after working for a nature center and visiting cranberry bogs on Eastern Long Island and bogs in South Jersey. That's what I started to try and recreate then found hybrids and other interesting species from other than those ecosystems.

Many of these would definitely be found in the NC Sandhills (S. purpurea, S flava, C. tuberosus, D intermedia, D filliformis).

Even though the pitcher plants and orchids look exotic they are all temperate North American (w/ a few exceptions) species and stay in the ground year 'round with some winter mulch. I have had the bog at this location since I bought this property five years ago. Some of the larger pitcher plants were moved from a previous location.

Wish I had some better pictures.

• bernergrrl
    18 years ago

I am so jealous of your pitcher plants! They are gorgeous; I can't wait until mine bloom. A really beautiful set-up!

• goldies
    18 years ago

i like the pictures.

• Josh
    18 years ago

Very nice setup. I especially like the way you've kept it weeded and spaced so you can appreciate the various forms of the plants instead of one mass of green foliage. josh

Sponsored