Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooded in Spring, Mowed in Summer

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:53

There is a field that is flooded in the Spring, then dries out and is mowed in the summer. I figure since it can't be used until it dries out, I might as well have something that looks pretty or provides food for pollinators in the Spring. Can anyone think of any New England native plants that can survive both being flooded and being mowed? I'm thinking Spring flowers that would go to seed before the area dries out and is mowed, ferns, or some kind of ornamental grass/rush/reed thing that can survive mowing.

I'm considering:

Marsh Marigold
Blue Eyed Grass
Sernsitive Fern
Wild Calla/Calla palustris
Camassia
Harlequin Blue Flag Iris/Iris versicolor:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooded in Spring, Mowed in Summer

hi friend thank you for your post
it's rally nice garden

o
RE: Flooded in Spring, Mowed in Summer

This area doesn't go dry until July. Then I take a string trimmer to it. and then I mow it for the weeds. Water doesn't fill it in until the end of November or the beginning of December. I removed the volunteer Thuja plicata in august. I haven't planted anything in it.
All the plants are volunteers. Sometimes a few weeds sprout and I either pull them or hit em' with Roundup. I'm talking about the weeds that are liable to spread to drier ground out in the garden.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here