Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanine55_gw

Oklahoma wet site

Jeanine55
19 years ago

Hi, I hope people don't mind if I ask a question instead of reading through all the old postings. I live in Oklahoma (moved here a year ago from Indiana) and recently bought a house. My soil is 100% grey clay. Under the advice of the lady at the nursery I planted 19 butterfly bushes along fence line by digging an extra large hole and amending the soil w/peat and cotton burr to back fill. Didn't think about the fact that at beginning of fence line the ground slopes down to the area the bushes are planted. So it was a dry spring gave the bushes a good watering, then it rained and rained and rained about 7 inches in less than a week. Lat night I noticed first bush in the line was wilted. The planting hole was a mushy wet messs. I would like to take out the other two bushes in this 10 or 12 foot section and put in a bog garden. Has anyone else in Oklahoma tried this?

Comments (11)

• webfeeet
    19 years ago

Nope nobody in Oklahoma has tried this. I have many cousins in Oklahoma and all they do is eat barbecue and drink beer. Anything that even SOUNDS like work is not attempted.

• Jansdream
    19 years ago

Oh pfffffffffft on that comment of no one works in Oklahoma.
    I haven't tried it Jeanine, wish I could help.
    But I will say that most Okies I know are very hard working and honest. And by the way, I hate beer and BBQ.
    ha! Best wishes on finding some answers to your inquiry.

• kverzani
    19 years ago

Okay... I must jump in here. I was born and raised in Oklahoma and lived there all my life until 2 years ago. Because of my husband's job.... we now live in "wonderful" (cough, cough) Las Vegas... the most self centered city I have ever visited... I long every day to go back "home" and NO... I don't drink beer or eat bar-b-que. In fact, people that I run into here say that Oklahoma has some of the nicest people in the country..AND I worked hard ... everyday doing one of the most "thankless" jobs around....TEACH... retired after 30 years in the classroom. Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I am tired of people thinking that Oklahoma is nothing but "hicks"... I wonder what Reba, Garth, Vince, Toby, Ronnie Dunn, Will and all the other "Okies" who have worked hard too feel about that comment?

• Jeanine55
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, I am new to these forums so I thought I better just let it go. Guess they don't teach manners that far north.

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

Webfeet must have missed his half-caff no-fat mochoa latte from Starbucks...I've lived most of my life in Oklahoma and while I don't mind some barbque or beer I'd rather have Mt. Dew and pizza.

but as to your question....The number of times we've had June's like that, I can count on one hand. That was highly highly unusual. If that much rain is what causes your boggy conditions...chances are you won't have them next year. Most June's here are REALLY hot...almost as hot as July and August! Some years its over 100 degrees in May and doesn't rain more then a couple inches between June and September.

Having said all that...I will say that it seems like the last few years have been unusually cool and rainy. I think last year or the year before we never broke 100 degrees in OKC all summer...that NEVER happens. I blame the greenhouse effect...and idiots from Washington that are bitter at their high cost of living and mad that their cousins won't invite them over for barbque and beer.

I've been thinking of making a small bog just by burrying some pond liner and filling it w/ peat/sand.

good luck!

• webfeeet
    19 years ago

Gosh my cousins must not be real Oklahomans because they have a sense of humor.

When you ask a silly question "Has anyone else in Oklahoma tried this?"
    You need to get a silly answer.

• Jeanine55
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That's probably why sarcasm is considered a low form of humor, only the the person using it thinks he is funny.

• webfeeet
    19 years ago

that's okay NONE of you have any kind of humor except ill humor...
    I better have my cousins move..they are in bad company.

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

Just popped in to say that I thought it was a hilarious remark about the Okies. I'm an Okie born & bred, transplanted here. Too bad some folks get offended so easily.

I hope your butterfly bushes survive. I have never been able too have much luck with them here.

• autumnmoon
    19 years ago

LOL @ okie hicks.. I can too, I was born there! But raised as a kansas hick, is that better or worse? ACK I dont think I wanna know!
    To the original poster, Did you ever think to just try the butterfly bushes in the clay and see how THEY did? In my experience (and I'm ONLY 30 miles from OK) They dont require loose soil or anything special and I dont think they're too picky. As a matter of fact, My aunt has one taller than her house and its planted in clay. Maybe that nursery lady just needed to sell some peat that day??
    I'd move one, to test, it cant hurt it anymore than it sounds like it already IS hurting. Use it as a test. Of course until they settle in they will need to be coddled a bit with a little extra water when the ground is dry, but after they are situated, I think they should do fine on their own.
    Just a thought!
    Paula

• kwoods
    19 years ago

Wait a minute!

I eat barbecue and drink a lot of beer. I resent that not being considered hard work!

I say build a bog. Even with clay you will probably need a liner and bogs don't like groundwater runoff, too hard to control the ph. Still you should find a suitable site on your property and build a bog, I have gotten tremendous pleasure from having one.

Sponsored