Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attract hummingbirds?

Posted by dianabrace (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 03 at 12:26

Suggestions please: what kinds of flowering plants that can live on a bog-like/floating island that will attract hummingbirds? I'm trying to build a floating island on a pond that can support hardy plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attract hummingbirds?

Cardinal flower is a favourite of hummingbirds.

o

• Posted by Katt 5b (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 16, 03 at 18:29

There's jewel weed in my bog and the Hummers LOVE it.

o

• Posted by Suenh cold end of 4! (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 19, 03 at 7:58

Around my natural pond I have bee balm in several colors and the hummers are all over it. Same with lobelias. The hummers arrive when the bog irises start blooming and stay to frost. Jewel weed is a favorite but it throws it seed everywhere. At least the extras pull out easy or are controled easily with a lawn mower. Never tried a floating island so I don't know how they'd do on one.
Impatients take a lot of sun when they are consistently wet. My pond is spring fed and tends to be a little cold for them.

o

one part sugar/3 parts water. simmer and stir for two minutes. allow to cool and put in a hummer-feeder. The best way to attract hummers

o

I have pickerel rush, the hummingbirds love it. Kathy

o

we have hummingbirds but I think they just come to the pond to drink water. We don't have anything that is really flowering yet so it can't be flowers. They just land on a plant, get a drink and then usually sit ther or in a tree for a few minutes preening and then fly off.

o

I have honeysuckle vine that they love. I tired the feeders with the sugar water, red food coloring and all kinds of mixtures supposed to attract hummingbirds. The only thing that it attracted was big black ants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here