Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sedge Maintenance

Posted by atwork (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 13:52

Although my sedge is growing well this year, there is a lot of dead left over from last year. The clumps look a little too congested for my tastes. I probably should have cut it back in late winter or early spring, but didn't. I wondered if anyone had any opinions about what it would do to cut it totally back to the ground now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sedge Maintenance

Cutting back will make it shorter but not less dense or congested. Instead of cutting to the ground, you could try dividing. Dig each clump up, roots included, cut into three to six smaller clumps. Replant one and give the others away.

o
RE: Sedge Maintenance

I was really thinking of visual congestion with all the dead foliage from last year. The clumps are still fairly small, but I'd like less brown and more green. I guess the brown parts are more natural, but I was just considering my options. I didn't want to trim it now if drastic pruning this time of year might hurt the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here