Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennials for base of downspout?

Posted by CrispyKritter z6 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 04 at 15:31

Hi everyone....

I have a new perennial bed that I started this year. The bed goes around the corner of my house and I would like to plant some perennials at the base of the downspout. The ground isn't always wet, but does get soggy during and after it rains. So, I am looking for perennials that don't require constant wet soil, but won't mind being saturated periodically.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennials for base of downspout?

Here's some ideas from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden (they are listed under "Rain Garden Plants"). A rain garden is essentially the situation you describe. They are areas that are designed to catch runoff, hold it for awhile and then let it filter slowly back into the ground. A Google search on "Rain Gardens" will get you a lot more information.

Plant selection for rain gardens is based on the wet/dry cycle produced by this process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Garden Plants

o

i ahve that problem with the central air drain. i planted the naturalized day lillies there, and wa-la

o

i've got a lobelia cardinalis there.

o

The Louisiana iris would work great there.

o

I've had good luck in the same situation with siberian iris, daylilies, chameleon plant, creeping jenny, and astilbe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here