Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to divide Sarracenias

Posted by braspadya z7a MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 15:37

Hello:

Several of my Sarracenias have done quite well & I have an opportunity to expand my bog garden this summer. So, I was wondering what the best time of year would be to divide them. My gut instinct says early to mid-spring, but other feedback is much appreciated!

Happy bogging,

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to divide Sarracenias

The best time is in the dead of winter, when the plant is dormant, and doesn't know that anything is happening.

o

I was told early spring. Late Feb., early March.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 14:58

Dead of winter in a zone 7 bog garden would be a bit impractical. I do it when we have a good long thaw here on Long Island. This year I waited 'til late April and they are all doing fine. You can probably do it any time in spring it will still be nice and cool for a while. Just make sure you get a nice clean cut or break in the rhizome between growth points and that each growth point has plenty of its own roots intact. Make sure the roots are long enough to reach well into the water table in your bog garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here