Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robwhy

1 ft deep round stock tank

robwhy
19 years ago

I have a 6' in diameter and 1'deep round metal stock tank I'd like to make into a water garden. Is 1 foot deep enough? I can cover the bottom in pea gravel. Is that a good idea?

I have a larger stock tank that is a goldfish pond. I don't plan to filter this smaller one or have a pump. What can I do with it that would be pretty?

Thanks for the help.

Comments (4)

• cannahavana
    19 years ago

If it were mine, I would plant lotus. Put a couple of inches of composted manure and a layer of sand on top. Plant a tuber, it will fill the whole tank in a season. Add some comet goldfish after about a month. Don't worry about filtration, I don't use filtration in any of my small ponds.

Rebecca

• robwhy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What a great idea. Thanks. I had some lotus last year and a new puppy destroyed it. I'll try again in this tank.

• boomchuckchuck
    18 years ago

Hi! I am a novice to water gardening, attempting to create
    my first. I have the bottom section of a large concrete
    fountain, about four foot wide and 2 feet deep. I purchased
    a lotus tuber, and planted it in a black plastic pot in
    clay soil from my garden back in April. It sprouted leaves,
    a bit larger than a nasturtium almost immediately. The water was clean and clear, with little or no algae. Then I
    was instructed that they were heavy feeders, and to plant it
    in strait compost. I did that, and all of the leaves died,
    it smelled horrible and looked like a toxic waste dump. I
    pulled the tuber out, and went back to plan A, and it immeadiatly recoverd, sending out healthy leaves, and not
    befouling the water. The leaves are not as large as I
    was expecting. (This is a tropical lotus "N. the president")
    About double the size of nasturtium leaves, and they are
    just floating on the top of the water, not held above like
    in pictures I have seen. I would really just be happy to
    have the great big parasol leaves, even if it did not bloom.

I want to place this black plastic tub into the larger
    concrete bowl. How deep do I place the tub?

Could I also add other plants, any suggestions?

I would apprecitate your advice.

Thanks.

boomchuckchuck

• kelleesgarden
    18 years ago

I just got a 1 foot deep 22 inch wide pot. It i s fiberglass and supposed to hide a hose. But I fell in love with its design and would love to have a small pond. I got a few plants from the garden cenbter on clearence for less than a dollar. Will this work.? I wont have a filter or pump and I may get a few fish., I know it will freeze and I will have to bring it in this winter but for the time being what do you think? I know that when the weather starts to change I willhave to remove the plants, cut back the foliage and put in a bag and keep in the basement and I can replant in the spring. I have always wanted a little pond and I really wnat this to work out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Kelly

Sponsored