Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sarracenias in a pot?

Posted by michael_in_chicago z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 16:50

I've read the archives, but still don't know 2 things. First, I bought 3 Sarracenias and have not yet figured out where they will go in the ground, so I figured I'd pot them up for at least one season. I have 3 in a pot that is about 8" deep, filled with 50/50 peat/perlite, watered in with filtered water. I have to mulch all pots with pebbles because of intense squirrel activity. As soon as I did so, these 2 questions popped up:

Pebbles are probably alkaline - will this raise the pH too much?

Filtered water isn't rain/bottled water, but it's chlorine-free. Is this ok?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sarracenias in a pot?

They do fine in pots, lose the pebbles they are not needed. I use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite or sand. I prefer perlite as it makes the pots/containers lighter to carry/move.

Remember, these need winter dormancy!

Use rain water or distilled only. There may be other stuff in the so called filtered water that could kill the plants. Better safe then sorry!

I just got 6 sarrs myself this week. My first Sarrs!

Also, get the book "The Savage Garden"! Awesome!

Tom

o

you need to worry about more than just chlorine in the water supply. There could be other minerals lurking in there as well. I'm thrilled that I just found a store about a 2 min walk from my house that has a machine out front that dispenses purified water. The machine lists reverse osmosis as one of the steps but I had a sample checked just in case and it was fine. I fill up my distilled water jugs at $.25 per gallon. If you look around, you may be able to find a similar place.

I've always heard that rain water, distilled water and water purifed by reverse osmosis are the ways to go. Even just plain old bottled "spring water" may not be good. I agree with the better safe than sorry thing.

I finally built an enclosure for my plants to keep the little tree weasels out. I hadn't thought of pebbles though. They're probably ok but I'd check with the guys at www.cobraplant.com go to the "Ask the Growers" option-they always get back to you. The pot sounds fine-just keep it sitting in water at all times unless you like watering it daily. Mine especially love a good downpour so make sure they stay outside.

o

Good advice presented above. I like the idea of placing Sarracenias in plastic buckets, for a mini-bog effect. I live in Western NY and the winters are too cold to leave them outside, without heavily mulching. So I bring them to my attic and place at a SW window sill for the winter. They respond to the increased photoperiod and warming temps by waking up in mid-to-late winter. Here is an example of what I have.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also collect rainwater in plastic trashbarrels and fill gallon milk jugs for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here