Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_gw

please help me find gunnera manicata

Lisa
22 years ago

Please help me find a nursery that sells gunnera manicata plants in the east Texas or Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Thanks, Lisa

Comments (17)

• minnow
    22 years ago

Good Luck! It is to hot and humid for them to survive there. Elizabeth

• jclm1982_aol_com
    22 years ago

Lisa, You can find gunnera at Jackson & Perkins catalog also Springhill catalog. I bought seeds from a man in Austin Texas that says he grows it in TOTAL SHADE at the end of his pond(not garden pond)w/ success. I'm going to try it myself. Also said has to be in pond or bog in Texas.
    Good Luck Lisa, Jodi

• gillespiegardens
    22 years ago

and its too cold in the winters for it here in cincinnati ohio what an awesome plant!!

• jodyl
    21 years ago

Anyone growing Gunnera Chilensis in SW LA or SE TX please tell me how to do it!!!! And where to buy the variety that will grow.

• pjhege
    21 years ago

will it grow well in North Carolina???

• jforbes
    21 years ago

I am growing gunnera manicata in Raleigh, NC. I ordered a plant and seeds. It hasn't died in our 90 degree plus temps. I read somewhere it grows 10" a year, so it'll take awhile to get big. I have it at the base of a hill where all the rainwater we're not getting collects, so it's always wet. It gets several hours of morning sun, afternoon shade. Not sure if it will survive our winters, but I always like to experiment...

• Hardy_palm
    21 years ago

I grow Gunnera Manicata and Gunnera Chilinesis on Long Island. They get a heavy winter mulch return every year bigger and bigger. My gunnera Chilinesis is flowering for the first time in 6 years I had it. Greer Gardens sell them ( Mail order) But they are small when order.

• taylor_tx
    21 years ago

This site has them one gallon for $10. They add a special caution to people in Texas.
    http://www.worldplants.com/gunnera.htm

• Midnight_Gardener
    21 years ago

I'm also looking for gunnera. Does anyone know if anyone is exchanging plants? Or direct me to the correct forum?

• Coreen
    21 years ago

Dutch Gardens.com has them. I just received 5 in the mail!!!!!

• Sowth Efrikan
    20 years ago

Taylor TX, loved your link.

• morganjim
    19 years ago

Stay away from Dragonfly Dreams nursery. I don't know if I just had a bad experience or if mine was typical but I lost over $200 in bad plants / packaging / shipping etc. The post below is from Dragonflydreams nursery.

Posted by: kelly31 (mrkwildcat13@aol.com) on Thu, Jan 29, 04 at 12:43

You can find them at Dragonfly Dreams nursery.

• cac0
    19 years ago

"I read somewhere it grows 10" a year..."

Well, I'm no expert on manicata, but that doesn't seem right to me. I put a tiny G. Manicata (also have a tinctoria)in the ground this spring - probably reached no higher than 4 inches - and it has gained 5" in height already. The leaves have tripled in width. I think it grows much faster than 10" per anum. Of course, I am in Portland, OR, which is probably a pretty favorable environment for manicata, except for the rather dry summers.

• mrbill
    18 years ago

CAC0,

Some people get confused of the sigle and double quote marks.
    " = inches
    ' = feet

What was quoted as // 10" per anum // should have read 10 feet per year. There is nothing mammoth about 10 inches per year.

I am also looking for Gunnera to grow in North Texas.

MrBill

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

To those in the Dallas area, try North Haven nursery; I believe they have a website. They are the only retail nursery that I know of in that area, that sells unusual and rare plants, including herbs and begonias (not the bedding kind).

Also, Heronswood Nursery carries it mail order. I doubt they would mail it this late in the year, but there is always next spring. I purchased my variegated petasites from them. It was a small plant, but very good root system. It is now in it's 4th summer, and is really finally taking off. The problem with mail order, is that they are small plants and it will take some time for them to condition them to our climate, and to establish a large root system. I am in zone 7a in Oklahoma City. I sometimes think the zones are not a very good indication of what we can grow. For instance, Seattle, Washington, may be a zone 7 also, but they don't get the hot summers that we get, nor the unpredictable winters we get. So, just because they're in the same zone, doesn't mean I will get the same results with the same plant.

Susan

• cac0
    18 years ago

We had a 95F day in Portland in late May. The G. manicata lost nearly all of it's leaves while the chilensis -- situated in the same amount of shade -- was unaffected.

Thought this might be interesting to those of you in Texas and such places, who are interested in growing Gunnera.

To MrBill,

"What was quoted as // 10" per anum // should have read 10 feet per year."

Really?

"I read somewhere it grows 10" a year, so it'll take awhile to get big."

Doesn't seem to me that something that grows 10 feet a year would "take awhile to get big."

"I read somewhere it grows 10" a year, so it'll take awhile to get big."

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH