Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I grow 'FACW' wildflowers in a marsh bog garden?Or too soggy?

Posted by njbiology Zone 7(/6b); NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 21:06

I would like to grow FACW (facultive wetland) perennial flowers and shrubs in my bog. My bog is 18" deep and basically 6' wide x 30' long. It's always soggy and I don't allow drainage.

Pond marginals (OBLs) do great in this no-drainage, constantly wet/mud setup, but will the typical garden perennial do well if it is a "FACW" plant?

I would like to grow:
Turtlehead), American Meadowsweet/Spirea alba, Verbena spp., Prairie Willow, New England Aster, Ironweed, etc.

These are said to grow in wet mesic soils, but I suppose that I can grow them in the bog garden if the soil that they are placed on is saturated but has no actual standing water.

Thanks,
Steven

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I grow 'FACW' wildflowers in a marsh bog garden?Or too so

Most of these plants are technically what I'd call 'wet meadow' plants. Any normal soil with a relative amount of moisture should work. Most can survive temporary drought and ordinary garden conditions. For example, I grow Ironweed on a dry hillside with few problems. Conversely, most handle temporary flooding well too.

Now if you if you are looking for true peat bog plants and shrubs, I'd look at things instead like leatherleaf, laborador tea, swamp azalea, and bog rosemary.

There's a nursery in NJ, Rare Find, that has many of these sorts of things, although he may not always list them in the catalogue. Evermay in Maine has a few good bog shrubs too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Find

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here