Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is silver sand, the recommended sand for bog gardens.

Posted by njbiology z6 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 05 at 22:20

What is Silver Sand: all i know is that they say to use it for propagating aquatic plants from seeds and for bog gardens.

Where can i get Silver Sand - would homedepot or lowes sell it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is silver sand, the recommended sand for bog gardens.

Sand is mainly composed of quartz and the particles are frequently coated with iron oxides which give sands a colouring from yellows to rich browns. Those sands that do not have any iron oxides are termed 'silver sands'.

It is simply a name and does not have any particular horticultural implications. Any sand will do provided it is washed free from contaminants and is of the graded size of particles that you require. You sometime see 'river sand' recommended and again there is no particular characteristic appertaining to horticultural use exept that it is likely that the particles will be very rounded and very clean.

My Website

o

what would happen if i used the contruction-purpose sand that you can purchase at Lowes and Home-Depot

o

Personally I would never incorporate builders grade of sand used for the making of mortar; It is too fine and is likely to impede drainage and air. Even in the bog garden and for aquatic plant containers that are to be submerged I would go for a larger particle, gritty sand.

My Website

o

where would i get that;

another thing is that i fear stepping on the sand will cause the sharper grains to penetrate the 45 mil liner

o

Use it in your submerged pond baskets if the mix calls for grit, and if you also have need for a planting bed at your pool bottom and want to include some aggregate use rounded grit. All these can be obtained from a well stocked builders merchants. Just verify it is free from contaminents.
45mm thick liner ? not much would get through that.

Propagation would normally be done in baskets in the pond or in tanks placed elsewhere.

My Website

o

Where can i buiy silver sand from and does it go by another name?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here