Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Running a pump in a bog?

Posted by njbiology z6b NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 05 at 1:44

Would this work.

I will make a large bog garden - not a true bog garden: a mud and peat mix for things like arrowhead and marshmarigold - and in this bog garden i would make a canal by placing boulders in two parallel lines in the middle part of the bog so that the boulders will keep the majority of the mud from filling in the stream - i want to do this so that i can have some flow through the bog and keep some circulation and for aesthetic purposes. will the sediment settle enough to not kill the pump or will it smell bad even if flowing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Running a pump in a bog?

first, (sorry to go off topic on this thread briefly)Cranberry bog can be whatever depth you choose 12-24" deep. Cranberries are as cold hardy as they come surviving even in zone 1 (that's something like -50F). They can survive being frozen solid...I've seen them that way.

Second, the sediment would kill the pump in a hurry. You'd have to line the "stream" and have a reservior at the bottom end to house the pump. This is the water garden I just completed with a stream between the two ponds. Next year I'll add another bog garden around the upper pond and landscape to bring the surrounding area up to pond level.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o
RE: Running a pump in a bog?

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 14:14

WOW!

Very nice work Fred!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here