Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can any bog plants thrive in 2' MOIST soil

Posted by njbiology z6b NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 2:29

HYPOTHETICALLY, if the soil were moist, would iris or marsh marigold thrive in 1/5-2" soil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can any bog plants thrive in 2' MOIST soil

yellow flag iris would grow great as should many other moisture loving plants many great plants can be grown on the edge of the bog lol

o

no---------- i mean: 1 to two INCHES of moist soil - i.e. on the edge of the bog liner which is shallow and separates the pond and bog so that hte bog doesnt cave in from the pressure of the pond water - thats why there is a wide and shallow barior which will be lined and soil covered

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 21:56

I feel that they would be top heavy and fall over on you. My Marsh marigolds grew to about 1.5 feet tall this summer. My water iris measured 3.5 feet. So.... to answer your question, it is probably not a good idea. However, you could put them into a large pot and place ON the liner. But they probably wouldn't survive the winter, at least not here in Canada.

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 10:36

You could try something like mysotis scorpiodes that is low growing with a shallow root system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here