Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A good site for bog plant ID

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 8:05

I took a couple seed pods from a plant that was growing at the edge of someone's pond. The plant and seed pods look like a giant day lily. I want to find a site to help me ID them and instructions for germination. Normally I'd post in the "name that plant" forum but my camera is on the fritz.
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A good site for bog plant ID

Are you sure is isn't a daylily? (they do enjoy wet places).

Almost anything wild in the lily family has about the same germination requirements. Plant seed immediatly after collection. Give three months domancy, then wait. It may even take a few seasons of dormancy before they come up. I'd almost given up on my Canada Lily seeds, and stuffed the pots out of the way when one day two seasons after planting they came up.

The other possibility is if you have a spot like where you found them, then just sow them directly and forget about them until they come up.

o
RE: A good site for bog plant ID

I don't think it's a day lily as I've never seen one that large. The leaves look very similar but are a bit wider and 5-6' long. It's not a cattail either as the seed pods are similar to an iris or lily. I planted them now I guess I'll just wait. Hopefully something will happen within the next few months or I'm afraid I'll forget about them. I wish I had a pond on my property. Unfortuantely I only have container bogs.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here