Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fungus?

Posted by haneedes z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 10:22

i have Cyperus alternifolius (Umbrella Palm) in a vase in my lving room. I put plants surrounding my turtle tank for a more natural look.

anyway, i had three of this plants in one container. the roots and pots were covered with water. i left it for about 3 weeks and i noticed that one of the plants had dried up.

i removed them from the water to let them dry out a bit. i noticed that the dead one, now had fungus all over it. that must be what caused it to dry up

my questions are, is it dead? and should i spray the others with something? what kills fungus but leaves the plant in tact?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fungus?

What you probably have is phytophthera root rot. this is a nasty fungus and is known as a "water mold", in other words it spreads with water. I lost a gunnera and a couple of other plants to this problem a few weeks ago. There are only a very few fungicides labeled for this disease.

Best course of action is to change the water on a regular basis and clean out the container with a bleach solution before using it for the plants again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here