Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd plants that do well in the bog

Posted by whippet_lovers region 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 13:54

Hi! I have become as interested in bog gardening as I have in my koi! Last year, I made a discovery (or rediscovery, if everyone already knows this, lol. I had company coming, and in a frenzy to fill in some bare spots in my ponds, I used some of my hostas, creeping jenny and ajuga to throw in anywhere I needed to hide pumps, wires, etc. Not only did they trive, but to my surprize, the next year they came back bigger and better than before! The hostas more "held their own," being in pots in the water. The creeping jenny and the ajuga went wild! Both grew over the pots and took off thro the water, rooting. This spring was GORGEOUS with the blooming ajuga. I have the red leafed kind, and that entwined with the bright green jenny is just stunning and looks so natural. I've put it everywhere now, And cascading over rocks, along the pond edges, and hanging into the water, plants floating and growing underwater also, really helps it look natural and hides the fact its a liner... i have such limited access to pond plants here (Ann Arbor area) that anything different is such fun. The local pond stores are outrageous... $30 for a tiny cardinal lobelia? Oh please!
What else can I try? Anything that is fragrant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd plants that do well in the bog

I've grown hosta in my bog for years. Plumbed my shower water into the head of 4 interconnected bogs that finally exit into my water feature. They grow like weeds.

Daylilies, pulmoneria and astilbe, ajuga and I grew tomatoes this year.

Looking north the south.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
RE: Odd plants that do well in the bog

Thanks to both of you...isn't it surprising what experimentation can discover. Appreciate your sharing. Great descriptions and then the photos were beautiful! josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here