Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new ponder- want a bog filter and need help

Posted by witz (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 22:36

Hi, I am in the process of building my first pond, and I am interested in building a bog filter to do all of my filtering. As of now the pond will be in a kidney type shape, with length being about 17 feet, and the width being about 12 feet. I plan on using step down shelves to about 24 inches, and having a section about 30 inches or so- not sure if I will make this just another step.

I have been told that I can build a bog filter to do all of my filtering, and I would like to build it so that it feeds my waterfall.

My questions are how practical is this, and what size should it be? What is recommended for depth? I've been told to build it so there is at least a foot of lava rock on top of the pipe at the bottom, and finish it off with pea gravel.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new ponder- want a bog filter and need help

Witz, If you post this over on the pond forum, you might get more responses. A few of the ponders there (including myself) have "bog-type" filters. This Bog Garden forum (I think) deals more with the "true" bogs-- that is, separate bogs filled with peat that don't usually have water running through them.

In the meantime you can take a look at the construction of my bog-type filter at the link below. BTW- we used all pea gravel-- no lava rock in our filter and it seems to be doing well after 2.5 years. Another website that might be useful is Nelson's Water Gardens in TX, I think. Just google their name along with "bog filter".

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Bog Filter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here