Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cement in a peat bog

Posted by Sean_McKinney N. Ireland (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 04 at 3:58

To provide access I was going to put some stepping stones in the bog I am contemplating, I assume these need to be mounted on 'pillars' which are in turn sit on the liner. Since I dont have real stone the stepping stones would be concrete and the pillars will either be concrete or what is called thermalite. The latter looks like aerated cement.
Will the bog dissolve the pillar etc?
Is concrete, even 20-30 year old concrete/cement, bad for a bog? I assume there will be some dissolving but I dont know how rapid this will be or its effect on the bog?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cement in a peat bog

The lime in the concrete/cement will over the course of a few years completely alter the PH of your bog, and I would not recommend it's use.

I would recommend the use of logs for pillars. the acidity of the bog will not promote the rapid decay of the wood and if stone tops are what you are looking for sandstone is the best way to go.

o

Good idea about the log. Ta

o

I was talking to a person who sank plastic (food grade) drums filled with sand into his boggy place. It was accidental that they were just the right height.

'Pup

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here