Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biophilia_gw

Caterpillar Sightings!

biophilia
20 years ago

As of August 26th I had several easily found caterpillars in my yard of the following species: Buckeyes on Agalinus fasciculata (Gerardia), Giant Swallowtails on Toothache Tree, Cloudless Sulfurs on Partridge Pea, Viceroys on Black Willow, Long-tailed Skippers on Desmodium tortuosum, Spicebush Swallowtails on Spicebush, Palamedes on Swamp Bay, Black Swallowtails on an unidentified Carrot Relative, and Gulf fritillaries and eggs of Zebra Longwings on Passionvine. I live in Elberta, Alabama near Pensacola, Florida, and Gulf Shores, Alabama. I found the first egg ever on my Pipevine plant. It looks just like a Giant Swallowtail egg and is only inches away from a citrus plant. Does anyone know if a Giant Swallowtail could have missed her mark? Does anyone nearby want to exchange info on host plants and caterpillars? I am trying to restore natives to my place, so I am only interested in native plants. That limits me to two or three thousand species, here in Alabama.

Comments (8)

• firevicar
    20 years ago

You could plant paw-paw for zebra swallotails. Plant datura, sweet potato, tomato, for sphinx larva. Do you have some butterfly ginger and datura which the huge sphinx moths can't resist at night. Grow some fennel for the black swallotails. Brazilian skippers love cannas (canna leaf roller), and any of the cabbage family will attract the cabbage white. You might also draw some variegated fritilaries to your passion vines. The butterfly is secretive and the larva looks not unlike the gulf frittilary. RE your errant egg on the pipevine: pipevine swallowtails usually lay a cluster of eggs, and the caterpillars roam as a group. Perhaps you do have a mistake. If you don't have any, you might plant any of the asclepias species to draw the Queen and the Monarchs.

• biophilia
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for all the good suggestions! Actually, I have nearly all the things you mentioned (or native alternatives), and more. At one point, looking through the plant index in the Audubon Guide to Butterflies I counted 80 species of butterfly host plants that I have here on my 20 acres. I'm restoring natives back to old farmland, so most of those are species I intentionally planted. Plenty others have just volunteered. This is my first year of planting paw paw and I got Zebra swallowtail cats with the plants but haven't had any since they grew up. I have some amazing Banded Sphinx moth caterpillars on my Ludwigia octovalvis (primrose willow) right now. In addition to the cats on my previous post, I also have Little Sulfurs on my sensitive plant, Giant Leopard Moth cats on Coral Honeysuckle, and probably some eggs of newly arriving Monarchs, but I haven't found the Monarch eggs yet. This has been a great year. What do you have, and where are you? I am just starting to see some Variegated Fritillaries, but haven't found the cats yet, lately.
    Biophilia,
    Elberta, Alabama

• biophilia
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Learning what other people are seeing at specific times of year, and learning how to attract/find caterpillars of more species are my main reasons for belonging to GardenWeb. I wish this thread would keep going with other people's input. My caterpillar inventory (all from the wild) hasn't changed much since August 26th, with the notable exception of now having many Monarch caterpillars. As of November 4th, I have the following caterpillars:
    Monarch- cats on Scarlet Milkweed, Asclepias curassavica
    Giant Swallowtail- eggs through big cats on citrus
    Little Yellow- eggs on up on Sensitive Plant and Partridge Pea
    Palamedes Swallowtail- large cats on Swamp Bay
    Spicebush Swallowtail- large cat on Swamp Bay
    Giant Leopard Moth- large cat on honeysuckles
    Banded Sphinx Moth- one tiny cat
    Gulf Fritillaries- eggs, cats galore but Passionvine dwindling
    Buckeyes- cats on Gerardia, Plantains
    Pinkish coral-colored bristled caterpillar on live oak
    American Painted Lady-tiny cats on up on Cudweed, Gnaphalium spp.
    Viceroys- small cats making hibernaculae on willow

• biophilia
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I realize now that this is on the wrong forum, which is why it hasn't moved much. Sorry!!

• Brigitte_MiamiSprgs
    20 years ago

thanks for sharing this good info. we will be moving to north florida soon and i'm sure i can look forward to such a good variety there also

• nascarmonte
    19 years ago

I've found a ton of cats this week that are huge, totally black, and have 2 sets of 2 thin long yellow stripes down their backs with curled horns. My tree to the side of the house is now without leaves as that was apparently the host for these creatures. Can anyone ID them for me?
    Thanks!

• nascarmonte
    19 years ago

Well I found the ID of my caterpillar. I thought I'd share with all of you, especially those of you living in the foothills or piedmont of NC. It's called a Peiglers Oakworm Moth. Ugly moth too! Here is the URL of a pic of the caterpillar in question: http://www.bugguide.net/images/cache/EZQL4Z0LUZ4HYHEHRRNHZRNHNZXLFHXH8Z8HTHNH1ZGL3HIL8ZZLNZ4LJHWHAZPHFHPHWZZLGZGHAHXH2ZKL1H.jpg
    They defoliate oak trees, water oaks and laurel trees.
    This stinks, I wanted it to turn into a pretty butterfly of some kind.

Here is a link that might be useful: oakworm caterpillar info, Anisota peigleri

• Ygondine
    19 years ago

I have a lot of cats that look like the pvs, but they are eating oak tree leaves. Is there a similar cat or do mine just like a different diet?
    Thanks in advance for your help and I look foward to learning more from everyone at the garden web.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County