Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxpaws_gw

Sump Pump Drainage Garden

FoxPaws
18 years ago

Hello all, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I recently had a new home built and am looking to do some major gardening in the back yard, its a fairly shallow yard, about 40' deep by 90' wide with a section in the dead center of the very back of it that has the pleasure of being where the sump drain is. As you can guess this area is a soggy nightmare right now. I'm looking to (hopefully) dry it up with plants, I'd like to avoid trees but flowers and what not would be most welcome. My wife and I are currently planning to plant about 75% of the yard as a garden to cut down on the sea of green grass that is back there currently, and so that we can have something pretty to look at when on the deck. the dam area is in a cone/teardrop shape and spreads to an area about 10' or so wide at the end (then it moves onto what will eventually be the neighbors yard and I'm not to worried about that, bad of me I know, but hey!)

We had thought to dig up the area a little (its on the easement for the most part, and all of the city cabling/electrical runs past here (YIKES!) so I can't dig to deep or really at all other than for flowers and what not. Any ideas of what can go in here that will drink water like mad (we have a fairly high water table in the area, and while the sump is doing its job great it has to spit that water somewhere...)

Ok, i've rambled enough, I'm sure you understand what I'm asking about, or I can answer questions if anyone has them?

Comments (3)

• Judy_B_ON
    18 years ago

You can plant things that will grow in wet soil, but plants will not dry soil out. The high water table and sump drainage will keep the area wet. Post more info about sun and soil conditions and I'm sure others will provide lists of plants that grow well there.

I'm not a plumbing expert, but you might want to consult one to find out why the sump is draining onto your land and making it wet. Sumps should either connect into the storm water system or to a dry well so that there is no surface water.

• compost_hugger_nancy
    18 years ago

Believe it or not I was dealing with the same thing. I put pvc piping to redirect the water. I'm considering running a pipe from the drainage spot towards the natural spring hole.

In past years the spring hole never froze but this year it has thin ice over part. I'll have to check to see if the neighbors have made (as before) blockge measures. Perhaps we can come up with a plan together so water doesn't back up into my yard.

I have planted water lilly in the hole and blue flag in the "drainage ditch"

I have relocated some wild water plants threatened by development. I had pitcher plants, cat tails etc. If you clear from sides of wet spots make sure there is at least one side you let nature or help nature stay overgrown. This will help nature wildlife help you.

Remember to research native (not just naturalized) and use those plants. Don't INTRODUCE anything where you can't control it.

• artknotly
    13 years ago

Most cities don't care where your pump discharges. some areas though have rules against sump pump discharges even unto your own land. There is a ton of info about sump pumps at the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: sumppumps101.com

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County