Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native plants for wet 3/4 sun flooded part time

Posted by learn2turn 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 8:31

I have wetlands behind my house that normal would flood several weeks to a month or two a year, but only a few inches deep. It was treed until the beaver built a dam and it had a 1-1.5 feet of standing water for a year or two. Now the trees have died. The town is removing the beaver so I'll soon have a wet area, flooded a few inches a month or two a year that will get almost full sun. I want to plant some NATIVE plants that are attractive. I'm in Massachusetts just barely into zone 6. The plants have to survive a few inches of flooding part of the year and will always be wet and will get 3/4 sun, maybe more in some spots, maybe less in some spots.

Suggestions?

I already have tons of Lobelia cardinalis.

I already ordered some Hibiscus moscheutos.

Some ideas I have are--

Swamp Milkweed
Blue Flag Iris
Joe Pye Weed

There is some arrow arum and skunk cabbage already in the area to give you and idea how wet it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native plants for wet 3/4 sun flooded part time

New York Ironweed, Helenium autumnale, Amelanchior (sp?). These might be more for the edge, a little drier...

Monkeyflower (mimulus), chelone glabra,chelone lyonii, maybe Turks cap lily?

o

I'm interested in this, I'm afraid to try anything else but I heard that plants meant for wet, boggy areas still can die at first as they need "Acclimated" to the conditions.. which confuses me to no end... I was focused more on trees or something for privacy, but I lost them due to rot?? The ones meant for swamps... Let me know how it goes..

amy

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:44

learn;

Do you have any interest in trees and shrubs?

o

Interested in herbaceous flowering plants. I ended up buying some seed and started some flats, they are out side getting their few months of cold time.

Swamp Milkweed
Northern Blue Flag Iris
Obedient Plant
Turtle Head
Sweet Joe Pye Weed
Hibiscus Laevis

o

I have a similar problem. How about Marsh Marigold? There is a native version of Water Arum (Calla Pallustris) I got from Prairie Moon. Jewel Weed in the more shaded spots? Sensitive fern.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 10:45

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here