Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romando_gw

water lilies in balcony container

romando
18 years ago

Hello! I'm totally totally new to water/bog gardening, so bear with me. (I have hundreds of other happy plants, though). Here's my situation:

I received through trade two water lilies. I've never had them before, and was on cloud nine just thinking about those beautiful blooms. So I have the plants now, and have had them in glasses of water on my kitchen counter (they're babies, obviously) until I figure out what to do with them. I realize I really should have been more on-the-ball with this. . .Coincidentally, I found by the trash a nice, heavy big (3 gallon, give or take) cobalt blue glazed ceramic pot. Very heavy and sturdy and beautiful. Not sure what the people were thinking, throwing it out. Yes, it has a drainage hole in the bottom, but I thought I could go to a hardware box store and get some sort of liner. . .my question is, will this work, and do I need some sort of filtration? I'd like to make the lilies happy! I'm a balcony gardener, otherwise, I'd fix up a 'proper' pond! Suggestions please!

Comments (5)