Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

umbrella palm looking sickly

Fori
19 years ago

I put an umbrella palm in my indoor pond a few months ago and I think it needs something. It gets natural light and it seems to be adequate, though more would undoubtedly be better--the color is still a nice rich green. The tips of most of the leaves are dried out but it does keep adding shoots. Also, some of the stems rot away and flop over. They aren't necessarily older stems.

I've planted it how the nursery told me but I'm skeptical on if it's correct: leave it in the pot (regular flowerpot filled with dirt) and have the surface of the soil be a few inches below water level.

The water temperature ranges from 74 to 80 degrees F. None of the fauna are allowed to eat it (it's surrounded by skewers to prevent fish and very big snail from getting to it), but it does have a few scales. They're the big fluffy ones and I remove them when I see them, but clearly I'm missing the immatures as the big ones keep showing up. I don't think they're the problem, but they could be.

Any suggestions on how to make my plant happy? Is it too wet? Is it too hot? (I know it's probably not a great houseplant, but it doesn't have a choice in that!)

Thanks for any tips!

Comments (5)

Sponsored