Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bald cypress question

Posted by DragonTrees z7 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 04 at 19:24

First of all I would like to thank these people for helping me with the bald cypress:
Plantfreak
swamp tromper
Laurazone5

All I did was get some New Zealand peat moss (not the soil) and soaked it and put it in a baggie and put it on the warm part on the top of the fridge. I did this some time in middle June.
Last night I was checking on a few plants when I noticed the bald cypress baggie, had a fat white thing that was an oval and had a point on the other end (click the link below) I searched the rest of the bag and found out that the seed it was in cracked open in two pieces and out came out that thing. Does any one know if that is the way they sprout, and if that pointy thing is the root so I know when to plant it when it gets longer?

█ Drg() ┼rEe █

Here is a link that might be useful: the THING

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bald cypress question

So sorry I missed this back here. Your success makes perfect sense as you probably gathered your seed from last year which means it WAS stratified. Good for you. That white thingie is a tap root. The tap root is always sent out first. Plant it. The tap root goes down into your medium... I planted it up once- duh. Made sense to me at the time. Once it is in the medium or planted directly outside in the location you want it in, you should see top growth in no time at all. This is too cool! I am so happy you were able to germinate a bald cypress!

o

Whenever I'm not sure which way to plant a seed, I lay it flat and let the plant choose which way to grow. Once I planted 100 seeds of Bunya Pine (Araucaria bidwilli) upside-down. Most eventually grew and righted themselves, but this delayed their growth by several weeks. Live and learn! PF

o

I planted a little over 200 gladiolas upside down a few years ago. Gosh, those things should come with an installation guide. I wondered why everyone else's were coming up and mine still weren't. A girlfriend came over to see if my bulbs were rotted after yelling me for overwatering them for a week. She dug one up to see if it was mushy and asked if they had all been planted that way. I said yes. She was reduced to fits of laughter. I have now begun to plant bulbs that I am unsure of the way you mentioned to avoid these types of embarrassing situations. It works. Ma Nature rights it so your advice of laying it flat or sideways is very good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here