Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Seeking advice on placing a CP bog: want natural effect.

njbiology
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a 35 x 25 man-made pond in my yard with an exit and entrance stream. The entire pond/stream set-up has a 3-wide marsh all around it (Mallows, Cardinal Flowers, Irises, Arrowheads, etc.) Very naturalistic effect.

I want to build a carnivorous plant bog for native CPs and cranberries. I want this to appear in my yard in the most natural way possible.

I could put the bog in any of the following locations:

-Away from the pond in a slightly depressed section of the yard.

-Right after the marsh that surrounds the pond so that the marsh and CP are directly next to eachother so that the grade goes from plants in the water, alkaline mud plants next to the pond, and then CP plants after this.

The thing is that I want this to look like the CP plant community is completely naturally formed (as best as possible). In nature, do you ever see a pond that is not sterile surrounded by fertile mud loving marsh plant and then a sterile row of peat bog... as though the pond was, over decades, getting smaller, leaving behind a developing CP bog community to form.

- OR I could make a dry stream bed run from the pond to the woods as though the stream used to be running and decades later, is turing into a soggy bog.

My wording is not so great here, but hopefully someone with naturalistic expertise will read this.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment (1)

Sponsored