Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spiranthes blooming...it's getting close to fall!

Posted by fredsbog z5/6 NE Ohio (fbess7600@msn.com) on
Tue, Aug 31, 04 at 21:44

Went out last evening to check on the bog (as I always do) and found that the Spiranthes cernua had opened up almost over night. I got my camera and took some pictures to share with fellow bog orchid growers. this is a great plant, it seeds itself all over the garden which is really rare for an orchid. On top of that it has a wonderful fragrance something like baby powder I think. The lavender buds in the background are one of the heaths I planted when I first put in the bog (and kind of wish I hadn't...they reseed way to easily!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spiranthes blooming...it's getting close to fall!

Just moving the post down the way

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 11:08

Mine is just getting started as of this weekend here on Long Island. Warm weather later this week and they should be in full bloom and smelling wonderful! TONS of offsets this year too, hoping they will take over that area of the bog for next year.

Loads of fall pitchers on all the sarrracenia this year too, must've been all the wet weather.

o

Mine is trying to bloom. Does that count for anything?

o

Hey Fred, are you trading any of those seeds? Do you have turtleheads? I do, want totry to trade?

o

My Spiranthes cernua are blooming! Thanks for sending me some of your babies Fred! I've taken good care of them!

I'll have chelone alba seed from several plants I purchased from the Chicago Botanic. Prolific seeders and these plants have done remarkably well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here