Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check out my Bog Garden experiment

Posted by terrestrial_man 9 (eyuracleo@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 22:42

I wish I could say my bog that is shown at the link below is still as great looking but no such luck. Reason why is that I should have removed all the sedges, etc. that came up but I did not and they basically took over and the healthy sphagnum became dead sphagnum. This I attribute to the fact that the sedges shaded out the sphagnum and it died out.
I have tried reviving it and am currently keeping tabs on a plug of live sphagnum that I put into the old dead bog to see if it will survive and recolonize the bog.
If this fails I may try to get a large amount of sphagnum to recover the old bog and go from there.
But it was a great looking bog
Click here to read my journals

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check out my Bog Garden experiment

Awesome, and very professional looking!
I always love to see the projects that you have in store.
Thanks for the link!

Josh

o

Thanks Josh.
Update: This past week I have had an old raccoon move into my backyard, or at least making it a stop on its nightly foray. It tore apart my bog looking for something to eat!
Plus it tore apart a great looking pot of sphagnum. The sphagnum will survive and has been moved into the wired enclosed Selaginella bench along with a tray of moss the critter simply rolled up like a carpet!
Looks like I will be trying to get some sphagnum off of eBay when the time comes. I have moved the bog nearer my house and covered it with hardware cloth. Hopefully that will discourage the beast.

o

T-Man,
that's terrible news! I'm sorry for the set-back.
I have battled the raccoon on many occasions, and even resorted to trapping them last summer.
They dug into my succulent containers and knocked over numerous other plants...and that's to
say nothing of the nectarines, grapes, and peaches that they single-handedly consumed....

I love them and hate them. Curse their little hands!

Josh

o

Josh,
Thanks for the thoughts.
While I was dismayed at first I realize that they are just hungry animals who are way out of their habitat but what the ...... it are humans who are pushing them out of their habitat with housing developments that is forcing them to wander through rain culverts into cities to find food.
So I tolerate it and make sure that there is some cat food out back for the opposums and cats and whatever else shows up. I don't think the raccoons have been around for a week. It is a tough situation for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here