Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
correct placement for umberella plant

Posted by JustAVoice z8 MS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 23:12

Yesterday, I got an umberella plant(sedge?)It is in a 3 gallon container. I live in the South and have lots of places in my yard that are very wet. What I need to know is, should it be planted in sun or shade, I can accomodate either. Thanks in advance for the answer.
Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: correct placement for umberella plant

Hi
I've never found a place it won't grow lol Will even tolerate drying out. Probably does best in full sun with standing water. Like many water plants it tends to become invasive at least in my zone.
gary

o

Thank you Gary, I'll get it planted today. Just wanted to know the right light. You've been a big help.
Tami

o

Can the umbrella plant make it through winters in my zone? I want to plant mine outdoors, but hesitate for fear of losing it.

o

• Posted by Josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 1:11

Kinseeker, I'm not sure if hardy in your zone, but easy to split root system (I just use old steakknife) so you could have one inside for safety. Makes an easy houseplant, just keep very moist and give good light.

Also easy to start new plants by cutting off "umbrella tops" leaving a couple inches of stem. and then pushing stem down into wet soil until center of umbrella is below soil an inch or so. Roots will form around center portion of each umbrella and stems appear on top. Rather hard to explain. Or umbrella tops can be floated on water until you see roots/stems begin to form.
Sure hope this is clear...smile.
Good luck. josh

o

Kinseeker:

I did have umbrella plant winter over in my bog garden a few years back, before I moved. It was a rather mild winter & the bog garden was in a sheltered spot pretty close to the house. I have not had this plant overwinter again outside, unfortunately.

Best luck!

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here