Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally, pictures of my bog garden

Posted by Bomber 6 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 05 at 10:03

This is a short series of pictures of my newly created bog garden. These plants had previously been planted in this wet area. I decided to use a liner to insure there would be consistent moisture for the true bog plants. I've had a bit of die back on the pitcher plants but they're already sending out new shoots. Yay!

Fred, thank you for your advice and encouragement.

There are some shots of my nearby veggie garden in this series.

Here is a link that might be useful: My bog garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally, pictures of my bog garden

you should find some jewelweed to put in there also. I have some, they have pretty pale orange flowers. They grow pretty high also (My tallest is about 4') and the pods that the seeds grow in are a riot--> they explode and shoot out the seeds (my kids love them!!) If you would like, I will try to catch some seeds for you...I have a bog also and am trying to make a garden in that area. Yours is off to a fantastic start!!!

o

Thanks. I will look for jewelweed. I'll keep a picture history as this garden progresses.

o

Garden looks great! Some cranberries would make a great groundcover in your bog. Do keep us posted on how the garden progresses, it took about 3 years for my garden to really take off.

o

Nice Garden. I'm always facinated to see other people's designs. In the spring, I'll photograph my newest one and put it out here. My newest design challenges the notion that bog gardens need to be flat or bowl shaped. It is modeled after a seep, with sides like \_/ and an almost crescent-like curving shape which is open at one end. It declines gently towards the opening. One would think all this drainage would dry it out, but even at a slight decline the live sphagnum keeps everything moist (with some watering required in july and august). Along the sides are slopes covered with pea gravel and native rock plants like wild poinsettia, Cumberland Rosemary, fameflower, yellow eyed grass and other odd things. Anyways, I'll post a photgraph around May.

Actually, watch out for that jewel weed... it is rather agressive. If you are looking to fill an area (like a moist wildflower meadow) then it is great, but it would probably our compete plants like CPs which demand lots of light. That said, I've never tried the yellow species (palada?) which has slightly larger flowers and sometimes a fragrance. I've scattered seeds before but not really give a whole lot of effort at trying to grow it. Since both orance and yellow grow in the same environment, I've wondered what differentiates their habitat (PH?).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here