Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

is this how I make a bog? newby needs seasoned bogger advice

birdgardner
19 years ago

I was planning to excavate a low sunny area of my yard, line it with a pond liner, refill with dirt lightened up with peat moss (my soil has a fair amount of clay, but not bad really). And run a soaker hose around the bed. Was planning maybe an oval 10x17, with a small (3ft diameter) pond going in later when my little one is older.

Would I have to water a LOT more if I didn't line the bed? Water won't drain right out of my soil like sand, but the surrounding soil will suck it out to some degree. I could just amend the soil and have a soaker hose on a daily timer, and save a good deal of digging.

How deep should it be if I line? I want to plant lobelia cardinalis, lychnis arkwrigtii, cannas, cinnamon fern, mimulus, monarda, hibiscus coccinea, maybe taro - a tropical hummingbird bog.

Is a foot deep enough?

I think I'm getting into hiring someone to dig it for me territory, with the size I have in mind, especially if I go up to 12x20. Have you gone that route, or rented a machine to do it yourself? I'm pretty handy, but there has got to be a learning curve on this.

Do mosquitos breed in the damp ground? How do you control them?

Lisa

Comment (1)

Sponsored