Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My lotus are looking bad...

Posted by Anakaleki z9 S.E. Tex (nelumbo_nucifera@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Sep 24, 04 at 17:31

Do lotus normally start to decline in late summer? I figured it was the heat; do they get better with the arrival of cooler weather? The leaves turn brown and die and I haven't had any new growth in a long time so now the small shallow pond I have them growing in is looking bare. Do I need to fertilize? Thanks.

AJB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My lotus are looking bad...

AJB, as far as I'm aware lotus (Nelumbo) need at least semi-tropical conditions for good growth. I would think that in a cooler climate there will be a premium to pay in less satisfactory growth. Being in the UK I don't of course have experience of your climate but my guess is that a Zone9 would not provide good conditions during the cool season.

My Website

o

Being in zone 9 just means it can get down to freezing. But in my area this only happens about 2 times each winter and we have about 6 months of very warm weather.

I know that other people grow lotus successfully in my climate, I just can't figure out what's wrong. I fertilized the plant, but there was no response. Now all the leaves have gone brown. Local temps have been in the 80's (F) during the day and upper 60's at night, but this cooler weather dosen't seem to help it. I guess I'll just dig it up and replant next year.

o

AJB, what happened with this lotus? Mine grows in a pot in an above ground tank and has done the same thing as you describe. Did yours ever come back for you?
Lil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here