Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bog plant? identification

Posted by tempskya Z7B BAMA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 04 at 17:55

This flower belongs to a stow-a-way plant. I received a shovel-full of umbrella plant from someone, and this plant came along for the ride. Anybody have an idea of what it might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bog plant? identification

looks like Iris

o

Trilliums have 3 petals. Does it have 3 leaves behind the petals too?
Tradescantias have 3 petals I think too.
Go back to the message list, and search in the Hortiplex search box.
I'm not sure whether either of these is correct.
Can anyone else help?

o

It does look like an Iris, but I should have mentioned a little more about the plant. The plant is about two feet tall, and the leaves (you can see them -- they're the ones that don't look like the umbrella plant) are strap-like and situated up the stalk, kind of like a corn plant.

o

Are the leaves aromatic when you rub them? it looks like something in the Ginger family. Actually I think it is Ginger lilly. see the photo in the link and It looks a heck of a lot like what you've got!

Here is a link that might be useful: White butterfly ginger lily

o

Thanks fredsbog,

I believe that's what it is. When I get home at night, I'll do some leaf-rubbin' and see if I get anything aromatic.

o

Sure does look like Butterfly Ginger to me. I ordered several Hedychium coronariums from the site listed below and when they bloomed, they looked almost exactly like your photograph. Good for you, that's a great looking plant you have there.

http://store.watergardenweb.com/butgin.html

And... Hi Fred. I got your photographs!

o

Here's a pic of where I've got it planted. You can't see the Butterfly Ginger in this view because it's growing sort of in amongst the umbrella plant at the back (that and it's not a very good picture).

It's not really a bog setting, but since I add water to the little pond frequently, the plants around also get frequent watering. The pennywort and horsetail are sort of taking over, but to me it's not a bad frame for the pond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here