Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Lotus transplanting

ademink
19 years ago

I was given three lotus plants (ones that are native to Indiana...American lotus...?). The leaves are about 3.5" in diameter. When I got them, I planted them like a lily..a pot w/ clay unscented cat litter, gravel on top and put them so their heads were at the same level in the pond.

One plant looks ok but the other two have brown crispy leaves. Did I kill them or are they going dormant...in shock...? Help!

I am tempted to un-pot them and plant them in the bottom of the pond, hoping to save them. However, I'm not sure this is the best solution.

Thank you!

andrea

Comments (3)

• Peter60
    19 years ago

andrea, please check on a dedicated lotus website, but I don't think any aquatic lotus should winter outdoors in a Zone5. As far as I'm aware the minimum temperature should be no lower than 8C. When you do further research be sure that what you are reading is in fact the aquatic lotus which is botanically 'Nelumbo'. There is also 'Lotus' perennial, some of which are hardy here in the UK Z7-8.

My Website

• ademink
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hmmm...these came out of one of their 97 ponds...so I'm pretty sure that they're aquatic. Wonder if they were really on the banks rather than in the water....? Now I'm confused! hehe

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Peter. I'll check into it and find out what on earth I have!

• ademink
    Original Author
    19 years ago
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!