Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice for bog garden abutting pond

Posted by jclimber S Austin 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 2:16

Hi all. I'd like to put in a bog garden next to my pond. The pond is about 20'x10' (5000 gallons) and the bog would be about 7' long x3.5' wide. I've been reading about plant rafts in the Pond Basic 4 book and I'd like to put one in the bog. Though I haven't been able to find one online.

I'm not sure how to make the transition from the bog to the pond and make it look really nice (no liner showing). A pipe thru a bulkhead? Maybe a smaller section in the middle border (2'?) that is a few inches shorter than the rest so the water flows thru there, over flat rocks on top of the liner section into the pond.

I'm guessing I'll make the depth about 8" or so, maybe 4" into the ground and then 4" above ground (pond water level is a few inches below grade).

If you have a bog/pond combo photo I'd love to see it!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice for bog garden abutting pond

why not let the water trickle over along the entire border between the bog and pond. much more realistic and it will provide current throughout the entire bog area while at the same time keeping the force of the current in any one place low.

like you mention, flat rock directly on top of the liner to hide it. then normal rocks of different shapes and sizes on top of those. No sealer between the flat rocks and normal rocks. the idea being to let the water flow.

I would advise you to put some small fish into your bog area to help control the mosiquito larva.

Yankee Dog

o

That's pretty much what I'm doing. The inside bog area (excluding the border blocks) ended up 80"x46"x10". It's mostly above grade. Didn't think about the mosquito problem. If I have enough flow through the blocks then there shouldn't be much standing water above the pea gravel which should hopefully prevent mosquitos.

o

Here are photos of the finished bog. I think it came out pretty good. At first there was too much water leaking through the rock border between the bog and the pond. So I sprayed some waterfall foam into the cracks and that slowed down the leakage enough that water filled to the top of the bog and then slowly flows over the top.

o

That is a beautiful setup!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here