Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bog/pond design

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 12:21

I'm in the process of building a pond with a bog shelf surrounding it. The pond and bog shelf will be separated by a permeable retaining wall. The pond has a liner, but I'm not putting one in for the bog. My thought was this will allow water to seep into the bog from the higher soil surrounding it, giving a drainage path for the other parts of the garden (this part of the yard has maybe 4" of top soil on top of several feet of dense clay).

I filled in the bottom of the bog shelf with clay soil, up to the top of the first rocks in the retaining wall, to bury the edges of the pond liner, above this I plan to add a mix of the clay soil, peat moss, and pea gravel, then top it all with an inch or two of pea gravel to hold the bog soil in place.

My main concern is whether the decision to not include a liner for the the bog was a bad idea. Is the weight of the water and dirt on top going to be enough to secure the pond liner? Or am I asking for trouble with water seeping under the liner?

Thanks,
Cara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bog/pond design

Nix the clay--straight peat moss and maybe a little sand will emulate nature best. Without the liner underneath you may find the bog dries out too often, so I'd include it if you still can. You can always poke holes in the bottom if it's retaining too much water (but you can't add the liner back in afterwards!). Also, why pea gravel on top?...it may add alkalinity to the bog, which is harmful to most bog plants that like a very acid soil. I just use pine needles as mulch.

Hope this helps...

o

This is the first time I heard pine needle in a bog area Thank You

o

I had missed your reply before I finished (was rushing to get most of it done by fall. Wish I would have seen it and rethought the liner. I found I was losing a lot more water than I thought I would back into the surrounding soil.

I had thought having the sides unlined would aid in water feeding out of the surrounding soil, which it probably will if we have a heavy rain, but it's going to happen in reverse when things are dry.

The gravel is there since I want run off water to feed through the gravel and bog like a filter before feeding into the pond. Sort of a psuedo bog filter like people often use for ponds.

Since the area is small and not planted yet. I might be able to still add some rearranging and either add liner along the edges or try to line the whole thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here