Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing carnivorous plants/sphagnum in a nutrient-rich bog?/idea

Posted by njbiology Zone 7/6b%3B N (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 0:37

Hi,

I have an idea for growing carnivorous plants and sphagnum moss in a nutrient-rich marsh - will this likely work?

On top of the mud, pile 6" of peat-moss and sand then plant the carnivorous plants and sphagnum moss. I suppose the roots will penetrate down the 6" of peat moss before hitting the nutrient rich saturated soil; then probably not extend deeper. This would be like a floating-mat is in nature: that you have a mass of slowly decaying wood at the edge of a swamp - the swamp seems to be nutrient-rich, black mud, etc... but the plants are insulated from the nutrients as they are rooted in the mass that towers over the water-level and apparently doesn't readily soak up the nutrients.

So, does this sound like it would work?

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing carnivorous plants/sphagnum in a nutrient-rich bog?/i

Steve, it sounds like it would work, provided there is enough shade. I have several bogs here and can tell you that they are all in dappled shade. The ancient bogs have a very deep layer of decay underneath. There are also some damp areas scattered throughout the woods where the sphagnum is growing on soil alone.

o

I grow mine differently, here in NW Florida. Mine are all growing in containers, from 3 gallon to 25 gallon black nursery pots, in full sun. They are in bloom now and are just gorgeous. The only water they get is rain and every-other-day sprinkler system water.

I plan to put my pond in soon, and will set the pots on ledges, but not directly in the water. As I research this subject, I find there many ways of growing carnivorous plants !

o

The New York Natural Heritage program is a wonderful site, which describe many different natural ecosystems found in NY and the species diversity contained in them, you can research nutrient rich fens/bogs to see which types of carnivorous plants grow in them, I know it has a lot to do with pH, but i believe some plants are pickier than others, hope this link is useful to anyone who wants to learn more about NY's unique ecosystems, I love it! http://www.dec.ny.gov/natureexplorer/app

o

I am in MN and have my venus' and pitchers in a small fish tank that has a bedding of sphagnum and peat with a top layer of stones(to hold warmth over cool nights). My plants prefer full sun, my pitchers put out there first flower (the kid picked it off like a little jerk) but it concerns me that people are saying they need shade, I assume they are fine since they aren't dead of course but I am wondering if I need to change my ways? Sorry for the thread jack.

o

Venus flytraps, pitcher plants, and sundews like lots of sun so you should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here