Return to the Bog Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cement fish pond with bog garden shelf

Posted by kesini none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 0:37

Hello. I am new here so first off - Hello to all. I am a gardening nut.

I am building a cement fish pond that will have an assortment of fish. Koi, Talapia, Barra, and a few others. The bog garden part will be a shelf, 30 cm deep running around the circumfrance of the pond. In most places it will be from 30 cm wide to 1 meter. At one end of the pond it will be 4 meters wide. The bog will be cement and filled with gravel. Water will be piped from pond to the back side of bog and flow up threw and over gravel back into the pond. The overall size of the pond is approximately 17 meters X 11 meters.

My question is: What is best,more effecient - to let water flow threw and over top of the gravel or to make gravel deep enough so water can flow only threw the gravel? I like the looks of the water flowing over top of the gravel and it also makes the pond appear larger. However, would it stil be effecient enough to keep water clear and clean? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cement fish pond with bog garden shelf

Hello -- I see that nobody answered you on this. I am sorry about that....

We have a similiar set up in our pond. When we were putting in this pond, DH foamed large flattish rounded stones on end, side by side. This created a similar situation to what you have outlined above. We then put washed pea gravel into this bog/shelf area and planted the water plants directly into the pea gravel.

DH has a pump - about 500 gph that runs from the pond into the bog. The end of the hose that the water comes out, is buried into the pea gravel so that it stays in the pond. Because everything is the same level, you don't really see the water coming out of the bog and into the pond.

This goes a very long way towards keeping the water clean and clear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bog Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here